Maybe you’ve already signed up for a CSA share or Farm Store Credit account at Stout Oak Farm. Maybe you’re still thinking about it. Here are few bits of farm news to get you fired up about the growing season ahead!
Snow is melting, sap is flowing, seeds are germinating, and the chickens are laying lots of eggs. Spring must be on its way!
- OUR NEW FARM CREW IS HERE! Soon you’ll meet our new staff members Javi, Conor, and Julia. We are super excited to have them all on board! Look for their bios posted here soon. We’re still interviewing candidates for one more position, which will bring us to a total of 5 full-time people working on vegetable production this year (our biggest crew yet). Go team!
- CONGRATULATIONS TO JOANNE, who has been Stout Oak’s stellar Assistant Farm Manager for the past 3 years. She is moving north to manage her own CSA in Effingham, NH. We will miss her dearly, but we are so excited about her new endeavor! You may see her around the farm from time to time, as we are still collaborating on a few fun things.
- GREENHOUSE WORK HAS BEGUN! Javi and Conor sowed onions last week (10,000 seeds total, 10 different varieties). Julia will join us this week, and we’ll work on sowing peppers, eggplant, lettuce, spinach, kale, and leeks.
- AT YOUR REQUEST, we adjusted this year’s crop plan so we can grow MORE of popular crops including onions, lettuce, carrots, beets, peas, winter squash, eggplant, arugula, spinach, and baby kale.
- FARM EVENTS: We’re planning a series of educational and social events this year including workshops on Organic Lawn Care and Compost Tea, a monthly Summer Happy Hour, Local Cheese Tastings at the Farm Store, and our annual Spring Plant Sale (May) and Tomato Tasting (August).
- MORE MEMBERS! Our CSA community is growing to 60 families this
year, and we have room for 80 additional families to join our Farm Store
Credit program. If you know someone who might be interested in signing
up, please send them our way. If you’re ready to sign up, click here!
- FARM STORE OPENS IN MAY. Exact date to be announced. We’ll keep you posted! In the meantime, we have eggs for sale from the self-serve cooler in front of the barn.